WELCOME TO THE RICHFORD VERMONT MUNICIPAL WEB SITE
The town of Richford is located on the Canadian border with a spectacular mountain view in all directions. The town was chartered in 1780 and in 1795 Joseph Stanhope staked claim to a piece of property on the Missisquoi River. That same year, Hugh and Mary Miller and their family became the first settlers.
By the mid 1800’s the town had grown in size and importance and became a hub of trade and commerce with the arrival of two railroad lines. Many homes and buildings still stand in the town that reflect the wealth of the period.
Visitors to Richford have long enjoyed the recreational activities in the area including fishing, hunting, biking, skiing, hiking and snowmobiling. We have one of the most scenic golf courses in the area, as well as access to the Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail – a 26-mile trail used for walking, biking and snowmobiling.
Town government consists of a five member select board and various commissions such as planning, development review board and conservation. The town library is housed between the historic Town Hall and the Post Office building. The town is fortunate to have an excellent volunteer fire department and ambulance service, as well as an active health center, dental practice, community care facility and pharmacy.